Serves 8-10 Cook Time 2-4 hours on high, 5-7 hours on low
3 lbs chuck roast, cut into 3 inch pieces, trim visible fat
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 Cup celery, chopped
2 medium green (or yellow) peppers, chopped
2 medium red peppers, chopped
1 (15oz) can tomatoes, low-sodium, chopped (reserve the juice)
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
2 bay leaves
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp Better than Beef Boullion (or 3 cubes of low-sodium beef boullion)
salt and pepper
2 jalepeno peppers (optional) for garnish
To Freeze Ahead:
- In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium high heat until it starts to smoke. In small batches, brown the beef on all sides, set beef aside to cool.
- In a large gallon size freezer safe zip-loc bag, put all the ingredients in the bag. When the beef has cooled completely, add it to the bag. Squeeze the air out, label the contents and date.
To Cook Immediately:
- Follow step one.
- Layer the onion and celery in the bottom of the crock pot, then the meat, tomatoes, peppers and bay leaves.
- In the reserved tomato juice, mix the tomato paste, chili powder, oregano, bouillon and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 5-7 hours. Always follow recommended cooking times for your crock pot.Place
Recommended for patients on the Modified Profast (Fast and Flexible) Program, Nutriplus (Balance Your Pyramid) Program or Maintenance Program.
Metabolic Medical Center