Serves 8 Cook Time 2-5 hours on high or 5-7 hours on low
2 lbs ground turkey
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce (no salt added)
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tbsp Splenda brown sugar
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp white vinegar
⅓ Cup chili powder
1 (12 oz) can or bottle of beer
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp hot pepper sauce
1 ½ tsp dried basil
2 tsp salt
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, no salt added
1 tsp black pepper
1 (4oz) can diced green chile peppers, drained
To Freeze Ahead:
- In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium heat brown the turkey, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often until the turkey crumbles and is no longer pink and the onion is tender. Drain off the fat (there will not be much).
- Allow the meat to cool completely. Put all ingredients into a gallon size zip-loc freezer bag, squeeze the air out, label and date. (Keep about 6 months)
To Cook Immediately:
- Follow step one.
- Return the cooked meat to the pan, sprinkle the chili powder, cumin and basil over the turkey and toast the spices a little.
- Put the turkey into the crock pot. Pour the tomatoes, green chiles, tomato sauce, and vinegar into the skillet and stir to loosen any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Mix in the brown sugar, hot sauce salt and pepper. Pour this into the crock pot.
- Cook on high for 2-5 hours or low for 5-7 hours. Always follow recommended cooking times for your crock pot.
Recommended for patients on the Modified Profast (Fast and Flexible) Program, Nutriplus (Balance Your Pyramid) Program or Maintenance Program.
Metabolic Medical Center