Serves 6 Cook Time 1 hour
1/3 Cup fresh basil, chopped
1/3 Cup fresh oregano, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
12 oz. eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 1/4 Cups water
1 (28 oz) low-sodium whole peeled tomatoes, drained (reserve juice) and chopped coarse 2 medium zucchini, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 medium bell peppers (red or yellow), stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 Cup fresh basil, shredded
- Process the first 5 ingredients in a food processor until finely ground. Garlic & Herb Mix. Set aside.
- Toss the chopped eggplant with 1 1/2 tsp table salt in a bowl. Line a microwavable large plate with paper towels and spread the eggplant on a single layer evenly over the paper towels. Microwave until dry and slightly shriveled (8-10 minutes depending on microwave), toss once during the cooking process.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a dutch oven (or other large, deep pot) over medium high heat until it starts to shimmer and add eggplant and onion cooking until they are semi-translucent (about 2 minutes). Push these veggie to the sides of the pot and add 1 Tablespoon of oil and the tomato paste. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add 2 Cups of water, tomatoes and their juice, stirring frequently and scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat to medium-low and gently simmer until the eggplant is totally broken down (20-25 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a separate 12 inch skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium heat until smoking. Add zucchini, peppers and 1/2 tsp salt; cook until tender (10-12 minutes). Push these veggies to the side of the pan and add the Garlic & Herb Mix and cook for about 1 minute. Transfer these veggies to a bowl. Add the remaining 1/4 Cup of water to the skillet of the heat and scrape the browned bits.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir the reserved vegetables and water from the skillet into the vegetables in the Dutch oven. Cover and let stand 20 minutes. Stir in the basil and season with pepper.
Recommended for patients on the Modified Profast (Fast and Flexible) Program, Nutriplus (Balance Your Pyramid) Program or Maintenance Program.
Metabolic Medical Center