Need something different from a salad? Grill it. The high heat intensifies the sweet flavor of romaine lettuce leaves. Radicchio and Endive leaves will also work well in this recipe. This salad is very easy to double and is a big crowd pleaser!
Serves 4 Cook Time 5 minutes
2 heads Romaine, cut in half lengthwise
1 small red onion, cut in thin rings
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
splash balsamic vinegar
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Brush lettuce and onions with oil, salt and pepper.
- Place lettuce on the grill and quickly sear both sides making those distinctive grill marks. Remove and set aside.
- Place the onions on the grill and cook for approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Just until desired doneness.
- To assemble salads, place 1 romaine heart on a plate, 2 or 3 onion slices, 1 tbsp cheese and splash of vinegar.
Recommended for patients on the Modified Profast (Fast and Flexible) Program, Nutriplus (Balance Your Pyramid) Program or Maintenance Program.
Metabolic Medical Center