Serves 6 Cook Time 2 Hours
1 (12-oz) can beer
1 Cup hickory wood chips
1 Packet of McCormick seasoning (your choice)
1 (4 lb) whole chicken
1/2 Cup Coke Zero
1/2 Cup Low-sugar ketchup (Heinz)
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp instant onion flakes
1/2 tsp instant minced garlic
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1/4 tsp black pepper
- Open beer can; drink half; set aside. Soak wood chips in water 1 hour.
- Heat grill to medium.
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumstick and rub the seasoning under the skin, inside the body cavity and over the skin. Holding chicken upright with the body cavity facing down, insert beer can into cavity.
- Drain wood chips. Place half of wood chips in a smoke box. Coat grill rack with cooking spray. Place the chicken in a disposable aluminum pan. Spread legs out to form a tripod to support the chicken. Cover and grill 2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into meaty portion of thigh registers 180°. Add remaining wood chips after 1 hour as needed.
- Lift chicken slightly using tongs; place spatula under can. Carefully lift chicken and can; place on a cutting board. Let stand 5 minutes. Gently lift chicken using tongs or insulated rubber gloves; carefully twist can and remove from cavity. Discard skin and can.
- To prepare sauce, combine Coke and remaining ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes. Cool. Serve with chicken.
Recommended for patients on the Modified Profast (Fast and Flexible) Program, Nutriplus (Balance Your Pyramid) Program or Maintenance Program.
Metabolic Medical Center