Never underestimate the lean protein power of ground chicken. Almost every recipe that calls for ground beef can be substituted with ground chicken (or turkey).
Serves 12 appetizers Time 45 minutes
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 spray cooking spray
1 1/4 tbsp peanut oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c fresh ginger root, minced
1 1/2 c fresh mushrooms, finely diced
2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp sherry cooking wine
1 1/2 c scallion, chopped
1/2 c cilantro, fresh, minced
2 lb 93% lean ground chicken
1/4 c sugar-free apricot preserves
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-hole muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, warm oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add ginger; cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add mushrooms; stir to combine and scrape bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon. Add soy sauce and sherry to deglaze skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes more. Add scallions; cook, stirring, until wilted. Stir in cilantro; turn off heat.
- Place chicken in a mixing bowl; add mushroom mixture and combine thoroughly. Fill each muffin hole with about 1/2 cup of chicken mixture shaped into a ball with your hands. Bake until juices bubble up clear, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to prepare dipping sauce, in a small bowl, combine preserves, water, lime juice and fish sauce.
- Serve chicken balls with dipping sauce on the side.
1 ball, 2 tsp sauce
Nutrition Info: calories 135.7, fat 6.8g, protein 15.3g, carbohydrates 4g, sodium 331mg
Recommended for patients on the Modified Profast (Fast and Flexible) Program, Nutriplus (Balance Your Pyramid) Program or Maintenance Program.
Metabolic Medical Center